Volume 5 Supplement 7
An AC-type element mediates transactivation of secondary cell wall carbohydrate-active enzymes by PttMYB021, the PopulusMYB46 orthologue
© Ezcurra et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2011
Published: 13 September 2011
The transcription factor MYB46, together with its redundant paralog MYB83, regulates expression of secondary cell wall biosynthesis genes in Arabidopsis [reviewed in 1].
We isolated the Populus MYB46 ortholog, PtxtMYB021 from hybrid aspen (Populus tremula x tremuloides) . Transiently expressed MYB021 transactivated gene promoters of Populus xylan-active enzymes GT43A, GT43B and Xyn10A. Analysis of conserved motifs within these promoters identified the sequence CCACCAAC, which is similar to the AC elements mediating transactivation by MYB transcription factors during lignin biosynthesis, and we showed that this motif is enriched in xylem-specific carbohydrate active enzyme (CAZyme) promoters.
To establish whether the AC-type motif in CAZyme promoters is important for their function, we analyzed loss-of-function and gain-of-function GUS reporter constructs of the GT43A promoter in a transient transcription assay, by co-infiltration with a 35S:MYB021 effector in Nicotiana benthamiana leaves.
Results and discussion
Sequence overlap in AC motifs.
CCCACC T ACC
c CACC T ACC
c CACC T ACC
t c ACCAAC
The AC regulatory element, here preliminarily redefined as the sequence CCACCAAC, is a true “lignocellulose synthesis response element”, mediating MYB46-dependent transactivation of the whole secondary cell wall gene program. This knowledge will enable inference of MYB46-centered regulatory networks in different species, through bioinformatic analysis.
We thank David Caparrós-Ruiz for helpful comments and discussions.
- Ohashi-Ito K, Fukuda H: Transcriptional regulation of vascular cell fates. Curr Opin Plant Biol. 2010, 13: 670-676. 10.1016/j.pbi.2010.08.011.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Winzell A, Aspeborg H, Wang Y, Ezcurra I: Conserved CA-rich motifs in gene promoters of PtxtMYB021-responsive secondary cell wall carbohydrate-active enzymes in Populus. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010, 394: 848-853. 10.1016/j.bbrc.2010.03.101.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Goicoechea M, Lacombe E, Legay S, Mihaljevic S, Rech P, et al: EgMYB2, a new transcriptional activator from Eucalyptus xylem, regulates secondary cell wall formation and lignin biosynthesis. Plant J. 2005, 43: 553-567. 10.1111/j.1365-313X.2005.02480.x.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zhong R, Lee C, Ye ZH: Global analysis of direct targets of secondary wall NAC master switches in Arabidopsis. Mol Plant. 2010, 3: 1087-1103. 10.1093/mp/ssq062.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yamaguchi M, Mitsuda N, Ohtani M, Ohme-Takagi M, Kato K, Demura T: VASCULAR-RELATED NAC-DOMAIN 7 directly regulates the expression of a broad range of genes for xylem vessel formation. Plant J. 2011Google Scholar
- Zhou J, Lee C, Zhong R, Ye ZH: MYB58 and MYB63 are transcriptional activators of the lignin biosynthetic pathway during secondary cell wall formation in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2009, 21: 248-266. 10.1105/tpc.108.063321.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Raes J, Rohde A, Christensen JH, Van de Peer Y, Boerjan W: Genome-wide characterization of the lignification toolbox in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2003, 133: 1051-1071. 10.1104/pp.103.026484.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Pilpel Y, Sudarsanam P, Church GM: Identifying regulatory networks by combinatorial analysis of promoter elements. Nat Genet. 2001, 29: 153-159. 10.1038/ng724.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hatton D, Sablowski R, Yung MH, Smith C, Schuch W, Bevan M: Two classes of cis sequences contribute to tissue-specific expression of a PAL2 promoter in transgenic tobacco. Plant J. 1995, 7: 859-876. 10.1046/j.1365-313X.1995.07060859.x.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hauffe KD, Lee SP, Subramaniam R, Douglas CJ: Combinatorial interactions between positive and negative cis-acting elements control spatial patterns of 4CL-1 expression in transgenic tobacco. Plant J. 1993, 4: 235-253. 10.1046/j.1365-313X.1993.04020235.x.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Legay S, Sivadon P, Blervacq AS, Pavy N, Baghdady A, et al: EgMYB1, an R2R3 MYB transcription factor from eucalyptus negatively regulates secondary cell wall formation in Arabidopsis and poplar. New Phytol. 2010, 188: 774-786. 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03432.x.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fornalé S, Shi X, Chai C, Encina A, Irar S, et al: ZmMYB31 directly represses maize lignin genes and redirects the phenylpropanoid metabolic flux. Plant J. 2010, 64: 633-644. 10.1111/j.1365-313X.2010.04363.x.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.